Our Professional Mentors, who we call "Friends," work intensively to develop a loving, caring, and sustained relationships with a roster of 8-10 youth ranging in age from K-12th grade.
For every youth, a Friend will:
- Set positive expectations
- Spend time weekly: one-on-one, in the classroom, on "outings" in the community, and group activities
- Nurture and promote their strength, talents, and abilities
- Help ensure physical and emotional well-being
- Teach life and academic skills
- Provide enrichment activities
- Model responsible behavior and boundaries
- Develop positive relationships with families, teachers and others involved in each youth’s life
- Devote a cumulative amount of time - between direct and indirect service - of a minimum of 4 hours per week per youth
- Fully document all youth service efforts
- Participate in an ongoing reflection, observation, and evaluation process
- Work directly with each of their youth in both one-on-one and in group settings
- Work directly and indirectly collaborating and intentionally planning together with the other adults in the youth’s life
- Know, understand, honor, and support the organization’s mission, vision, values, and principles, and be able to clearly articulate the organization’s function.